Monday, January 28, 2008

Knitting Socks spell

My mother has given me permission to blog about our family spell for knitting socks. It is not really something they teach in school and it is ever so useful.

The basic spell is 'texetis.' You can use this on a specific pattern by setting the yarn and needles on the pattern. This is a bit tricky though. Don't do it near your yarn stash or another pattern because you could end up knitting something else entirely! I tried to make a bulky weight cabled purse one time and it picked up a lace weight shawl pattern. I have a pretty cool blanket now, though.

So if you just have a cool yarn, which I know so often happens, you can just think (hard) of the basic pattern. Really think about the details if you have something particular in mind. Or you can just say the spell and it will knit up into whatever the yarn wants to be.
  • Socks - texetis pedalos
  • Gloves - texetis chirothecam
  • Scarf - texetis amictorum
  • Sweater - texetis sudacula
You can get some really amazing stuff items this way, just letting the yarn design the item. I love buying handspun, -dyed yarn and letting the yarn pick any cables or lace or whatever else it wants to be. I am pretty sure that a lot of those designs in muggle knitting magazines are from clever witches who scratch out the pattern from a yarn that picked its own design!

No comments: