Wednesday, July 16, 2008
d. South of France
2. Professor Umbridge comes to Hagrid's Hut and searches his cabin one evening (as she believes Harry, Ron and Hermione are there visiting him at night when they are not supposed to). When she walks past the place where Harry, Ron and Hermione are hiding under the Invisibility Cloak, Harry holds his breath. True or false?
3. A stately-looking witch in an emerald green shawl is one of the members of the Advance Guard who rescues Harry from Privet Drive. What is her name?
a. Emmeline Vance
4. What is the name of the witch who was killed two weeks after the photo of the original Order of the Phoenix was taken?
b. Marlene McKinnon
5. Which two fifth year Ravenclaw students does Dumbledore choose to be prefects?
d. Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil
6. Which house was Rose Zeller sorted into?
7. What is the color of Murtlap's essence?
8. Name the Ravenclaw girl who became prefect in Harry's fifth year.
b. Padma Patil
9. According to a healer's portrait at St. Mungo's hospital, which disease was Ron suffering from?
10. Which book did Harry give Hermione for Christmas?
a. "New Theory of Numberology"
Picture Scavenger Hunt
(Extra 5 pts - What movie will Robert Patterson star in this December? Twilight)
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Here is the start of the package. A sewn bag that I painted (and sewed). The snake goes all the way around. Lantern Moon needles in a pink bag (because it was close to red and the blue didn't come in the size I wanted to get her). An adorable sheep tape measure. Snitch stickers. Stickers for scrap booking (she likes to scrap book). A kit to make a lizard. Lorna's Lace in Pine and Pewter. Slything tea cozy with an S snake on one side and the word Slytherin on the other side (I knit it on the day when I was recooperating from getting my wisdom teeth out). Some Twinings Irish Breakfast tea (both our favorite hot tea) and a tiny single serving of English Breakfast. Clotted Cream for her tea.
A printed copy of a hand-drawn picture of Kreacher. (When I asked, she said Kreacher (joke?) and Harry were her favorite characters so I drew them for her, but the Harry Potter picture turned out awful.) A needle felted Slytherin patch.
The pattern for Cookie A's Red Thread socks (so cute!). A blue and red note pad. (Her favorite colors are blue and red)
I asked if she likes bacon, but she only likes turkey bacon. (I have not had a chance to try that yet). But I made her a bacon bracelet (needle felted) that looks like this one (which is actually mine).
There may have been some other stuff, but I honestly don't remember!! Enjoy, my 'Puff friend Ophelia.
Monday, July 14, 2008
I have about 14 inches of the head wrap done for the hufflepuff KAL. I plan to work on it as much as I can tonight. I guess I have to finish it between tonight and tomorrow. Maybe I will just kit as far as I can until tomorrow night when I have to go to bed and then Cast off. Me and my silly procrastination. The color changes are really screwing with me because I hate weaving in ends (and am horrible at it!!), but now that I have that cute little bird bag from Selena with the Clover Cutter and the large-eye blunt needles in it, it is not as bad. Plus I can use the point protectors to hold the stitches on while I fiddle with the colors. Only had one mishap, but this pattern is a little hard to rip back with the st going over other st.
And I am so so so excited to start that adorable squid. The colors Selena gave me are great. But I have to finish a pattern!! I should be able to cast on a sock or a squi by Thursday night.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
First hilarious thing I pulled out was a pig nose! With the following note:
Just in case you want to see what it's like to be an animagus!
Next I opened pulled out an adorable bag from Harry and Merry. It has a rain cloud and a sheep and it is light blue and yellow! I love it! Adorable. But I forgot to get a picture. It is pictured at the end, though.
Then I pulled out a River Knits Fine Yarns bag. It is a small bright yellow zippered bag with a big yellow bag inside.
Mini note cards with an adorable snail:
The funniest journal with the following note over top of it:
This is the most amazing example of Transfiguration I've ever seen!
And I agree. It is "The Great Elephant Poo Poo Paper Journal!!! 100 % receycled and odorless paper products made from elephant poo. How awesome is that! I laughed my head off. I laughed so hard, I forgot to get a picture, but it is in the final picture.
Got me some glowing connector bracelets.
Some Ginger Mints.
A cool foldy metal thing that I used to have when I was in highschool and I loved it and now I have it again!! Forgot to get a pic...
Here is the coolest bag ever.
I can't get a good picture of it because it is so crazy. There is a big part with a whole bunch of little legs coming off of it and another little bag coming out the top.
In one of the legs, I found this finger:
Then I tried to eat it:
But it is a pen.
Later I found a dragon necklace in another one of the legs!!
It also had some wonderful Trekking XXL yarn
And crystal bamboo US 1 dpns.
In the little pouch, I found this adorable bird bag
With AWESOME notions!! point protectors, large-eye blunt needles and one of those clover cutting things!! I have been meaning to get the needles and I have been wanting to get the other two.
Seriously, I am not done yet. I also got candy. A chocolate bar (my fave brand) with the note:
This is a great Muggle invention for helping you stay awake to do homework.
Endangered species brand chocolate - 70% cocoa dark chocolate with espresso beans!! Yummy yum. I usually get the 88% dark chocolate, but I might switch to this. Divine.
And a a beautiful Honeydukes box
With Candy in it - Jelly Slugs (which are gone now and replaced with a tummy ache), Bean Boozled (Jelly Belly's answer to Bertie Bott's every flavor beans, which I am saving for my two person Harry Potter party), and a giagantic jaw breaker.
Harry Potter stickers which I have already used to decorate my wonderful Muggle laptop.
3, count 'em, 3 sock patterns in Standard Book of Socks.
A knitting pattern for squids!!
There was also a bunch of other yarn. Some white and some black and a bunch of beautiful burnt orange.
Seriously. And then the whole box was filled with these amazing oragami stars. I am going to try stringing them together to make a garland or something.
My dog Nisa got really interested and came over to check out the commotion.
She got shooed away when she started licking stuff.
Then Ernie came over because Nisa wasn't allowed over here any more.
He was a good boy. And here is the whole shebang. Amazing.
Surprised much!!! I was. Holy cow!! Standing ovation. I would ask for an encore, but no need. My stomache is aching from this one - so much candy!! I am still wearing the nose to see if I want to be an animagus. I took a picture while I was eating with it on, but it looked like I was eating vomit so I left it out. (stroganoff - yum.)
No joke. I forgot this. Earlier in the quarter I got a tiny sock from her. Then in the package I got a tiny sock blocker. And yes they fit together and it is the cutest thing I have ever seen.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
I have fallen so far behind in keeping up with everyone's blogs though! I have 40 entries to read to catch up! Time Turner!
2. "Occlumency" is not, in reality, a word. However, it seems to be derived from a familiar real word that means "to block". What is that word?
Preoccupo in latin means to block. (Occupo is to grasp.)
3. Remus Lupin, the werewolf, has a name that is a double reminder of his traits. From what languages are his two names derived?
Lupin is French. I think Remus is Latin.
4. Percy Weasley's owl takes its name, quite appropriately, from the Greek messenger god. Who is this god?
5. Many of the creatures studied in the Care of Magical Creatures class or encountered by Hogwarts students are based on mythological animals while many others were made up. Name a mythological animal which is studied and/or encountered by Hogwarts students.
6. Harry is tried for the "crime" of using magic outside Hogwarts by the Wizengamot. From what culture is the name "Wizengamot" derived?
From Anglo-Saxon England (the Witan, also known as the Witenagemot)
7. The hospital in OotP is called St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Who was the real St. Mungo?
Saint Kentigern, the late 6th century apostle of the Brythonic Kingdom of Strathclyde in modern Scotland, and patron saint and founder of the city of Glasgow.
8. Dobby the house-elf gets his name from another kind of creature. In English folklore, what is a dobby?
9. Mundungus Fletcher is a disreputable little wizard with a penchant for trading in stolen goods. What exactly does mundungus mean?
Dust of unmanufactured tobacco leaves. (In the Navy, it is any useless or unwanted material.)
10. Harry's arch-nemesis throughout OotP is Professor Umbridge. Why is her name appropriate for her?
Umbrage means "shade or shawdow; a feeling of pique or resentment at some often fancied slight or insult."
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Accidentally Ravenclaw colors. Rather appropriate I think. The colors are gorgeous and I think it will make a great head wrap thingy.
Looking forward to it!
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
A while ago (week or so) I got an adorable card in the mail with a teeny tiny sock in it. In Ravenclaw colors even. From my oh so kind spoiler Selena Starfire. She sent it to me for practicing my engorgio spell. Took a few tries, but I seem to have engorgio and reducio down pat. I think that I may have an easier time packing out of Hogwarts than I did on the way in even though I will have more things! I can't believe I didn't think of it before.
I am using my new found skills on all my stuff now. I have a cute little purse that I have been wanting to use and now I can fit all of my school things in it. And other stuff. All my school books. A drawing pad, though sometimes the sketches don't shrink or enlarge with the paper. A couple of novels. It did not work on my knitting but that still fits in there regular sized. And I had to stop shrinking my quills because I kept losing them when they would blow away after I set them on the table to enlargen again.
So thanks Selena. This will be a useful skill for the rest of my life.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
My kit is almost complete. I am very excited to ship it off. I think I am getting some good stuff in there. Waiting on one more response from my spoilee about something I may or may not need to make a final something or other to include. My whosie-whatsits give me giggles. I hope she enjoys her package.
Speaking of, I am looking forward to seeing how many points I have in DA to see how many more I need to do to decide what I need to do.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
b. Professor Umbridge
2. Off what street is the alley where Harry first met Sirius?
c. Magnolia Crescent
3. Tonks’ mother had two sisters, both pure-bloods, and both left on the Black Family Tree. What are their names?
c. Narcissa and Bellatrix
4. What spell are the students studying in McGonalgall’s class when Umbrdige is doing her inspection?
d. The Vanishing Spell
5. Who comes to warn Harry and the rest of Dumbledore’s Army that Umbridge and her group of followers are coming to break up their meeting?
6. Who are the members of the Order that met Harry Potter in the Dursely’s house during the summer before his fifth year?
c. Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Remus Lupin, Emmeline Vance, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones
7. Moody used the Disillusionment Charm on Harry.
8. Which of these Death Eaters is Sirius related to?
d. All of these
9. At what age did Sirius leave his home?
10. How many of the original Order members were killed (don’t include those who disappeared)?
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
1. What was I doing 10 years ago?
Well, I am a second year at Ravenclaw so I was learning to walk. Very exciting. Drooled a lot I would imagine. (Alter ego Angela - I was just past learning to drive. Had my license for less than a year. Finishing my Junior year in highschool in first year at community college. Good year.)
2. What are 5 things on my to-do list today:
- Finish my homework - at least the Ravenclaw quiz is done already
- Freshen my bedside rose - it is getting pretty brown and wilty
- (work on the big project at work)
- (work on producing a bunch of trackers for work)
- (get started on a picture - not sure what of yet...)
- (work on my one-skein shawl from Noro Sock Yarn)
3. Snacks I enjoy: chocolate rose petals, chocolate frogs; just chocolate, really (Still chocolate - I am a sucker for Hershey's chocolate bar. Also, rose tea and irish or english breakfast tea with milk and honey)
4. Places I’ve lived:
I'm not sure. Mother would never tell me where we lived. She is really good at keeping a secret...
(Bellingham, WA and Seattle, WA)
5. Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
Travel, travel. And think of all the yarn!!!
(Work on arachknits and I would write and draw. And boy oh boy would I travel! I might have houses all over the world since I could afford it, but eventually I would narrow it down to one because really there has to be one place that is truley. But in the mean time, think of all the yarn I could have without overflowing my house!!!)
2. Dumbledore's Army was about doing something real. Or was that all just words to you?
Ron Wealsey - I mean, Neville Longbottom to Ron.
3. Dementors in Little Winging? Whatever next? The whole world's going topsy-turvy.
4. The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing.
5. Face it, Petunia. Our boy has gone lumpy.
6. You're a fool, Harry Potter, and you will lose everything.
7. Practicing is good, but there's something else that's even more important: believing in yourself. Look at it this way: every wizard in history has started out as nothing more than we are now -- students. If they can do it, why not us?
8. I WILL have order!
9. When are you going to get it into your head? We're in this together.
10. When all this is over we'll be a proper family, you'll see.
11. That's right. Anyway, my mum always said things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end. If not always in the way we expect.
12. You may not like him, Minister, but you can't deny: Dumbledore's got style.
13. Who wants to watch me take off Snivelly's trousers?
Sirius Black (when he was attending Hogwarts)
14. One person can't feel all that, they'd explode!
15. They're very clean, these Muggles. It's unnatural.
16. How dare you speak his name! YOU FILTHY HALF BLOOD!
17. Just because you can use magic now does not mean you have to whip your wands out for everything.
18. Did you actually believe, or are you truly naive enough to think that children stood a chance against us? I'll make this simple, Potter. Give me the prophecy now, or watch your friends die.
19. You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.
20. Ah, I thought we might hit this little snag. You seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to -- what is the phrase? -- come quietly.
Ooh. Good quiz. That was fun! I enjoyed seeing which ones I remembered right away, and which ones I could feel tickling at the front of my brain.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Thanks again, Selena.
I think, though, that I might be more of an absent minded professor than a spy. I could make the gadgets! Come up with new ways for top secret communication (the kit came with an invisible ink pen and the tool to read it). Hmm. I am sure that Muggles could really use some good spells when it comes to espionage. Hogwarts alone is full of things that would make any Muggle spy's dream's come true. Moving stair cases, for one, make people so much harder to follow. (I've missed the end of some really good conversations because of that. I guess I am a bad spy. She probably sent it to me because she caught me spying on people and wanted to give me a leg up.)
Saturday, June 7, 2008
First I went to Gladrags. One of my friends told me about these Flocculent Mollifying Socks that sound like just what I need after all the tests, pop quizzes, and lack of wisdom teeth.
She was right. They are awesome.
I popped into Scrivenshaft's to check out the quills. I saw Elanor Cadogan checking out some beautiful quills. Then lo! she had a couple of knitting needles that an owl accidentally brought with on of her restock orders. I found them in the far corner of the counter covered in some quills bags. They are spectacular. I hinted that she should get more because a lot of the students love to knit. There was a pair that saved you from dropped stitches, a pair that blocks lace as you knit it, and a pair that keeps your hands from sweating (that is the one I bought - my hands have sweat so much on my AddiTurbo's that they have corroded and worn of the metal in places so it is yellow).
I went to Madam Puddifoot's and had some tea so I could check out my new needles. I have a spell from my mother to change the size whenever to fit the project as I need. Basically Engorgio but with the specific size in mind. Or Reducio. I guess it isn't that tricky when I think about it, but I practiced a few times at the shop until I slipped and shrunk my tea cup, spilling tea all over my lap. That was fun. She helped me clean up (used something like scourgify, but a little different to keep the tea stain out). Then I looked at her teas and cups and pots. She has some really lovely stuff. I got a matching tea pot and tea cup. The tea pot heats the water up on it's own in five minutes and the tea cup keeps tea warm as long as it is in there. All at just the perfect temperature. Just shy of being too hot to drink. They are a lovely shade of blue on the outside with some yellow roses, white on the inside and they both have another yellow rose on the inside. Beautiful. When the tea is ready, the flower buds on the tea pot bloom.
By then it was getting close to time to leave, so I ran over to Honeydukes. I love the smell of that place. I get a sugar high from a few doors down! Well, I got some great treats. I don't really remember what, I think I was so up on the sugar fumes. I guess that might be part of their tactics! Tricky buggers.
When I got back to my room, I made a pot of tea in my new teapot with my new tea in my new teacup, I put on my Flocculent Mollifying Socks, grabbed a couple of chocolate rose petals, and started up a curtain with a gimongous skein of green yarn that I happened to bring with me. I think it will look great with the sun streaming through it as spring goes on.
I even wore the hat I got in the duel from Uusula Longbottom out that day. It kept me at just the right temperature all day.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
2. Who is taking a course in Remedical Magical Symphony?
3. Who got 3 puncture wounds in the bottom of her foot by stepping on a hair brush?
Me!! That hurt!
4. Who was formerly employed by the Ministry of Magic?
Emma Diggory (US)
5. Who has been enrolled in a Magic Fibres Class in order to learn to knit?
Stuart Cauldwell as per the Headmistress (I think)
6. Whose mother is a squib?
7. Whose father is an auror?
Chrysta the Cursed
8. Whose room smells like wet wool most of the time?
Elanor Cadogan and roomies (smells so good whenever I walk by :) )
9. What Ravenclaws spent time in the infirmary for allergies?
Wiserita Lovegoods, Agatha Vablatsky, Minerva Kwikspell, and Stuart Cauldwell I think all at least poked his head in there to get some relief from Madame Pomfrey.
10. Whose wand is made of holly with a kelpie feather?
11. Whose mother was a Ravenclaw and father was a Hufflepuff when they met at Hogwarts?
12. Whose silencing potion backfired?
Emma Scrimgeour (I love her hair)
13. Who has purple hair?
I believe Andromache (in response to the previous question - they are still working on the other roomie)
14. Whose son attends Hogwarts?
Emma Diggory. Man, we have too many Emma's. Well, we have a lot; I guess you can never have too many.
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
I saw Ingrid ze Insightful's new Betta when I got my teeth out and didn't believe it. The mini portkey idea so it can move from her necklace to her room is ingenious. I can see why she got into Ravenclaw!
As requested, here are some pictures of my crup, Whippie. Here he is when he was just little. Such a cutie pie!
Look at that big pink belly!
Here he is now.
Such a happy fella. This was taken after Xantian had tried to a severing charm on his ear. So that is why it looks all weird. He got in big trouble for that, don't worry. Little punk. Sometimes I can really see why he is called Xantian the Insane. I might need to write up a howler for him. A bit late, but I didn't think of it at the time. Would be my first practice at a howler.
Friday, May 30, 2008
Well, my favorite magical creature is a crup, but that is because my parents got me a Crup for a pet when I was 6. I had wanted one since I can remember. My father taught a class for people who wanted to own crups and I went whenever I could. I would play that I was my brother's pet crup, crawling on the floor and chasing gnomes. I even passed the certification when I was so the crup was actually mine. I called him Whippersnapper. Whippie for short. He was a doll. I was my best friend (is really, he just lives with my mom while I am away at Hogwarts.) We played outside and everything. We adopted him from a family who was abusing him. They never removed his second tail, so we couldn't take him off the property, but we had a large enough place that we still had plenty to do.
Speaking of gnomes, my mom once got this invitation from the Wealseys to help them degnome one summer. My mom let me go with Whippie. We had a great time.
Oh, and these are the two books that I have for this class. I already read most of them. This is definately one of my favorite classes.
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Monster Book of Monsters
Harry Potter Personality Quiz by Pirate Monkeys Inc.
Found this quiz on my Duel Partners blog, Ursula Longbottom. She is very nice and we had a fun time chatting as we panicked when the pattern wasn't up at 5:30!
Speaking of the duel, Madame Pomfrey did such a kind job getting my wisdom teeth out that I was able to complete and ship my hat yesterday. I never did get the gauge quite right, but I just had to do one extra repeat of the cable and it turned out fine. I am a little more sore today as I tried to eat pancakes this morning in the Great Hall, but yesterday I had a thermos of soup and just hung around the grounds outside of Hogwarts napping and knitting. It was marvelous!
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
1. Which of Arabella Figg's cats ran out from under the car?
a. Tibbles2. Which of the following is NOT one of Albus Dumbledore's middle names?
a. Ignatius3. Which educational decree introduced a High Inquisitor to Hogwarts?
d. 234. Apart from Harry, Ron and Hermione, who was the first person to enter the Hog's Head that showed an interest in Harry's Defence Against the Dark Arts classes?
b. Neville Longbottom5. In the first Quidditch match of the year which player attempted to score first?
a. Angelina Johnson6. What kind of bush does Harry hide behind to listen to the news?
b. A hydrangea bush7. Why is Mundungus Fletcher disguised as a woman when he witnesses the DA (Dumbledore's Army) meeting in the Hog's Head pub?
b. He was banned from the Hog’s Head pub 20 years ago.8. When Harry and Cho go on their first date to Madam Puddifoot's in Hogsmeade, what is it decorated with for Valentine's Day?
c. Golden cherubs and pink confetti9. How old is Sturgis Podmore and where does he live?
a. 38 and number 2 Laburnum Gardens Clapham10. What did Fred and George Weasley do to Montague?
a. Forced him head-first into a Vanishing Cabinet on the first floor.
Picture Scavenger Hunt
Fred and George Weasley (Together)
Hog’s Head Pub
Mr. Weasley & Harry (Together)
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Speaking of sore arms, I stepped on Allitraya's hair brush on Monday and got three puncture wounds in the bottom of my foot. Ouch. She helped me down to Madame Pomfrey's who took care of everything, but left me feeling more than a little sick to my stomach. I had to skip my last class yesterday and go lay in bed for the rest of the night. I am feeling a bit better today, but my foot is still sore (which is awful since I have to walk all over Hogwarts) so I am walking on my tip toe.
Monday, May 19, 2008
"Can you keep a secret (secrit)? The headquarters for The Order of the Phoenix is at No. 12 Grimmauld Place."
The first letter I got was A. And what I thought was N actually turned out to be T.
Glad to see Agatha V had the same question as me, though.
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Allitrya is very chatty and Emma has been quiet so far. I love listening to people talk while I knit, though, so this could be perfect. Allitraya is studying to be an auror, which is admirable. Her grandmother gave her a beautiful copy of Hogwarts, a History. She has interesting ideas on muggles and I have a blast listening to her talk away. Since both my parents are from wizarding families and my mother is a little over-protective (don't worry, I got a pretty good anti-mother charm on this blog) so I have never really had much muggle interaction. Just accidental and unavoidable.
I have been sneakily listening to my dormies to get to know them. I am never sure what to say to people, so I just like to listen. The canary is useful in this endeavour because she can get places I can't to hear things. I just hate not knowing things! Here are something things I found out.
Agatha Ackerly's cousin is in Hufflepuff. It is pretty darn cute to see them say hi in the halls because they do their hair the same! Her roommate Miranda is looking for a counter spell to being unable to knit. I am pretty sure my mother has this spell, if only I can get her to share it. Maybe if I tell her about Miranda's parents, she would feel bad that she doesn't have her parents or her ability to knit. I don't know, though, she is pretty touchy about me sharing her knitting spells. She recalled the notes I took when I started to post them to my blog last quarter so I couldn't finish talking about them. Got a huge howler that I didn't open and it exploded and almost killed her owl (I never even took it from him...) I am dying for her to find out about her other roommate, Emma's, last name. I bet that story could be good.
The canary overheard the other Agatha (Vablatsky) talking about her horrible transfiguration mishap! And now she is having horrible allergies! You can really tell because her poor nose is so red and raw it matches her bloodshot eyes.
Cecelia Kettleburn has brought up a good question. What animal is the best to bring? Well, the owl is most useful, but there is a whole owlery at your disposal here. The cat, I am biased with my love of dogs, doesn't seem useful to knitters to me because my mother's jerk of a cat is always chasing my balls of yarn around the house. Very annoying. She wants me to figure out the spell to automatically rewind the ball on my own. Blerg I say to that. I have an owl because that is the only animal my mother would let me bring. She wants me to send her a letter every day, but I talked her down to once a week. Phew!
I also talked to Madame Pomfrey and on May 29th, she is giving me a draught to remove my wisdom teeth but leaving my my wisdom (I would like to remain in Ravenclaw....) I am nervous. It has such a different effect on everyone. Some people are fine after two days. Other people are laid out for weeks. But I would rather Madame Pomfrey get them out that some crazy muggle oral surgeon with those metal instruments and gases.
For my classes this quarter, I am taking the regular first year classes as well as Ancient Runes, and Care of Magical Creatures. I am really excited. These classes sound like so much fun. Cecilia Kettleburn is in my Ancient Runes class, so maybe we can study together.
Saturday, May 10, 2008
Over the break, I learned a bit more about my little yellow canary friend. I let it pick out some food from what was left of my potions kit. I kind of spilled it, so I am not sure what it ate, but it did become less ephemeral. I better go unpack. The bird made me bring it a little bed this time, since last quarter she just slept on top of the canopy over my bed. So demanding.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Anyways, Perenelle, I hope you like it when you get it, but don't look any farther if you don't want to ruin the surprise.
There is a big bag, a small sock bag, and a tool bag; two balls of Dal of Uruguay sock yarn in red and one in yellow; Addi Turbo US 1 40" circular needles; a black sheep tape measure; Book of Sock Spells Grade 1 with four patterns that use the supplied yarn and needles; an owl st marker holder and a bunch of st markers; and a Dumbledore book marker.
Here is a close up of the art on the bags. I hand painted these.
Here is a close up of the owl st marker holder with one of the st markers sticking out of the top.
Here are the 12 st markers. I made the five on the left first and then I lost them (they were in the tool bag posted above). So I made 7 in a tear drop shape. Then I lost the 7 tear drops and found the first five. Then I found the tear drops again (they were in the bottom of the big bag). So now lucky little Perenelle gets 12 st markers!
This headband is a last minute addition I sewed together while I wait for my mom's very trustworthy owl to come take my package.
So fun! I hope Perenelle has fun picking out a pattern and using her bajillion st markers.
And here is a perfect picture to show you why all of my items are covered in hair if I am right about the cursed blanket. Please forgive me, Perenelle.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
So we went up and now I don't really remember what happened. I slept in late today and the canary is missing. I am no sure what to do now.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
2. Who dyed her fingers blue?
3. Who is related to William Shakespeare?
4. Who wants to own an alpaca farm?
(other than me--I just didn't mention it) Victoria Black
5. Who hates carrots?
6. Who is from the Muggle town of Bagshot in Surrey?
7. Who was searching for radishes in the winter?
Madam Ferula McGonagall
8. Who got a gift certificate to a LYS from a Slytherin boy for Valentine's Day?
9. Who discovered ghosts and house elves drinking tea in the Great Hall at midnight?
Me! Boy was that a crazy night. That silly little canary.
10. Who took an extra credit class called Muggle Fantasy Literature?
11. Who attended a Muggle music convention?
12. Who taught herself to purl backwards?
Serafina Starfire (so clever)
13. Who sports Ravenclaw Spirit socks?
14. Who would like to work in Muggle Relations after graduation?
15. Whose Mum is named Henrietta?
Friday, March 14, 2008
a. Professor Trisonikly
b. Professor Snape
c. Professor Grubbly-Plank
d. Professor Meshdeh
2. What was the article Rita Skeeter wrote about Hagrid called?
a. The son of Fridwolfa the Giantess
b. The Truth About Rubeus Hagrid
c. Dumbledore's Giant Mistake
d. Half Giant at Hogwarts
3. When the school champions were being chosen from the Goblet of Fire, whose name cam out first?
a. Fleur Delacour
b. Viktor Krum
c. Cedric Diggory
d. Harry Potter
4. What is the spell Ludo bagman says to magically magnify his voice when he commentates?
5. What kind of dragon did Cedirc have to face in the first task?
a. A Hungarian Horntail
b. A Swedish Short-Snout
c. A Welsh Green
d. A Chinese Fireball
6. Who raised the trophy after winning the world cup?
a. Troy and Moran
b. Troy and Quigley
c. Quigley and Moran
d. Lynch and Connolly
7. How many bedrooms did Mundungus Fletcher claim to have?
8. For what did Moody mistake his birthday gif of a carriage clock?
a. An intruder
b. A basilisk egg
c. A bomb
d. A Blast-ended Skrewt
9. What did Mr. Ollivander produce for the end of Cedric's wand?
a. A bunch of flowers
b. A fountain of wine
c. Twittering birds
d. Silver smoke rings
10. The dark mark is on Snape's left arm.
Picture Scavenger Hunt
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
You can see here the wonderful bag that she knit with the top reinforced with US 15 Brittany needles (gorgeous and clever), US1 40" circular needles (so I can learn magic knitting), a cable sock pattern, Dove chocolate eggs (so good, they are already all eaten in this picture), subtle yarn, and matching st markers.
The bag is like a Mary Poppins bag. I used it for a purse last week and I just kept getting more and more stuff in there. At one point I had a whole palm tree. Enchanted knitting bag, indeed.
The yarn is gorgeously subtle and soft. I actually have a very similar yarn from Alpaca Sox, so good choice Lavendar. Gorgeous colors. I am dying to cast on, but I have so many projects on the needles, I am making myself wait because they all have deadlines. I think that I will make myself 3 pairs of socks for my birthday in May. I should have shown you the yarn in the skein, but I got all excited and balled it.
I am already using the st markers in a house elf hat. They must also be charmed because I never skip past them on the rows I am supposed to do something. Very handy for such a spacy knitter!
And this wonderful all-over cable pattern. I can see this getting a lot of good use. On stiff paper in a plastic case so I don't drool on it while I am concentrating on my knitting. (Cables Galore, by Monica Jines)
Looking forward to it!